Richard Brunstrom is the chief constable of North Wales Police. He is also the copper who handed his force suntan lotion (even though north Wales has one of the highest levels of rainfall in the UK); dressed up as a druid; believes hard drugs should be legalised (he said that heroin was not "very, very, very dangerous"); thinks speeding motorists are as anti-social as muggers (in 2003 he called for the number of cameras to be trebled); spent £4,000 of taxpayers' money in 2001 investigating "anti-Welsh" comments by The Weakest Link host Anne Robinson and, surprise surprise, is a keen supporter of the European Union (he once said, "I don't think I have ever felt English. I'm a passionate European and I'm passionately in support of devolution in Wales").
Brunstrom has an obsession with speeding. He used pictures of a decapitated motorcyclist at a road safety summit to put his point across without even having the basic courtesy to ask the permission of the family of the dead man. The picture showed the man's head on a grass verge, encased in a helmet with the visor raised and his eyes still open. His widow and children had not been told the full details of how he died to spare their feelings. To make matters worse, Brunstrom sent an email to head of press, Bethan Jones Parry: "We must have better slides than the suicide. Not enough. Not gruesome enough. Motorcyclist is outstandingly good."
Why is this insensitive buffoon still in his job? Where is the tact? Where is the intelligence?
Brunstrom, like Ian Blair, is an utter disgrace to the Queen's uniform and should resign in shame but he won't because people like him have no shame.
UPDATE: After criticism from his local police authority Brunstrom said he would show the pictures again if "safeguards" were in place. He has also criticised the media for running the story.
He said: "I clearly placed too much trust in the behaviour and integrity of journalists. I allowed others to exploit a position that I did not anticipate.
"The error of judgment I was referring to was misplaced trust. I have been called naive, that may be apparent. This was intended to be a celebratory meeting."
A celebratory meeting? A celebratory meeting that was showing pictures of a dead man?
Brunstrom must go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment